Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sun and Snow

I sometimes worry I'm boring myself by thinking about the weather so often, I'm then reminded that weather was one of the major reasons we moved to Seattle. I am still amazed by the changing weather. Yesterday was stunningly beautiful. Clear and crisp with broad mountain ranges visible to the east and the west. Today it's snowing. The variety in the weather makes the days more interesting. Every day comes on fresh and new with anticipation. There is always some uncertainty of sun or storm.

I finally submitted my first resumé last week and am sending off another on Monday. I know I will likely have to send out many resumés before landing the right position, but I feel like the process has begun and I'm finding satisfaction in actively working toward a goal after the long break. Not that I have been wholly unproductive. If one could pick out a routine from my daily habits, it would surely include a good deal of time spent reading design books and learning more about Flash and web development.

Today's snow was fleeting (it's sunny out now - wait, now kind of foggy) but a week or so ago we awoke to a fresh blanket of about three inches. I still find the composition of city and snow a novelty. I still have an innate sense that it only snows in the mountains. That morning I set out early to take some photos of my new found fascination. See them below (click on photos to view larger versions).


This image feels incredibly still.


The bike is reminiscent of Davis, but not so much the snow.










Interstate 5 with downtown off in the distance to the south. Notice the morning commute headed into downtown. We're learning when and where not to drive in order to avoid crazy city traffic. Though the traffic can be frustrating, all of our essential needs are within walking distance so driving trips are never urgent.






Almost back home, I came across these shoes on a line, their foot beds full of snow. Of all the scenes I discovered that morning, I think that this one best illustrates snow in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment