Thursday, March 12, 2009

Look at me, I'm 33

Beth and I celebrated my birthday earlier this week. Yep, 33 years old. We went downtown and had lunch, where I was treated to an amazing cornmeal encrusted catfish sandwich. Then we headed to the Experience Music Project. It's a sort of rock & roll museum and it's all very well thought out and very interactive. Of course, different music to listen to at stations all along the way, of course a section devoted to the Seattle grunge scene and of course an incredible section devoted to Jimi Hendrix (including a piece of that guitar he famously burned at the Monterey Pop Festival - oooh). Right now the EMP is also hosted an exhibition of letterpress work by Hatch Show Print, a printer out of Nashville. It was amazing to see the hand-carved wooden blocks used in printing all sorts of materials, from trailer advertisements to Grand Ol' Opry flyers to modern band posters. So neat to see the artistic skill and creativity involved in each piece. According to their video, they keep every block and so have hundreds - thousands of blocks dating back decades. It's an incredibly interesting way to view history and popular culture. (Thanks to Beth for indulging the font nerd in me on my birthday)
We topped off the day with a trip to REI to grab a new backpacking stove for the quickly approaching summer. Ooooh, new gear. Great birthday, great to spend it with Beth.
(We realized at some point that we forgot the camera, so instead of birthday photos I'll include a photo of another recent outing to the Seattle aquarium.)

2 comments: